Family Photo September 2008

Monday, December 22, 2008

Annual Gingerbread Village

What to you get when you give kids an unlimited supply of candy, lots of frosting and some gingerbread? A REALLY BIG MESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For FHE last night we carried out our tradition of constructing a gingerbread village. We started late after caroling to neighbors and friends, and this is the first time that we attempted this with only our family. But overall we had a good time. Well, most of us did. :) Read on....
How much candy can you put on a gingerbread house anyway???
Bradley and Taylor were psycho and wanted to find out!

Do you see those demon eyes?

Oh boy!!!!!!!!!!! Shortly after Kiera took this picture the boys started fighting about who was being more stupid about what they were adding to this house... if you look at the house you can see how ridiculous the subject was! They were kicked out of the kitchen and Kiera was left to try to repair the broken walls and the mess.

The finished product did not quite make the village. Hmmm.... not sure why. Can you see the other side where the packing tape is attempting to hold it together.

Meanwhile, back on the home front... Andrea was doing her very own amazing decorating job!

And Leah and I were a team. Leah put the little balls on the X's.


Then there were trees and people to decorate.


Andrea was the only one who stayed in the project to the end!!

I love how it all comes together. We didn't have the coconut for the snow, and had a couple other technical difficulties, but other than that it went well.

Rod was pretty proud of the house that he and Jared decorated and he really does a lot of the "village" assembly too.




The really amazing thing is what our kitchen looks like after it is all over. Especially after the way the boys were working.
Traditions are a good thing!!

2 comments:

CB said...

OK that is quite a mess the boys made!!
Regardless the village looks great!

I know I already e-mailed you about this but I love your gingerbread houses - Totally fun!!

(I think your dad would die if he saw the picture of all those bowls of candy on the table - lol).

rad6 said...

oh yes, I was going to put that in my post... Dad would be so proud! Funny, did you see the empty bowl in the middle (or almost empty.) They just couldn't wait. I think that was a bowl of gummie lifesavers.